One of things I’ve taken up since becoming a health coach is establishing a morning routine. I find that it helps to set the foundation of the day and places me in a positive mindset before venturing out into the “real world”.
A good morning routine is one that should leave you energized, focused, and ready to take on any challenges that you may face during the day.
My morning routine recently had a little “face lift” as I’m focusing more on healing and spirituality, so I thought I’d share what I’m doing below .
1. The night before: Funny enough, my morning routine begins the night before. I make sure I’m in bed at a decent time (lately somewhere btw 9:30 – 10:30 pm) so that I can get at least 7 hours of rest. An hour or two before bed, I make sure I’m fully relaxed by sipping on some tea, turning the lights own low (usually lighting a candle), and reading either something positive or educational. It’s important for the mind to be in a calm place to ensure a peaceful nights rest.
2. Gratitude: Each morning, as soon as I wake up, I take a moment to smile and give thanks for waking up in a nice, warm bed. I feel the comfort of the sheets and pillow, place my hand on my heart and breathe. There is NEVER a guarantee that we will see each day, so taking the time to be thankful for our lives, especially in the morning, puts all that we have in perspective.
3. Hydration: In the morning, our bodies are dehydrated from the previous nights rest. It’s important to hydrate in order to replenish your cells and wake up your digestion. I start the day by drinking a hugh glass of fresh water. I follow that one up with another glass. However I make this one with bentonite clay and lemon juice and take a probiotic and cod liver oil supplement. These aid with detoxification and help to replenish healthy gut bacteria.
4. Detox: Since I’ve been overcoming issues with candida, I’ve taken a big liking to detoxifying my body on a daily basis. Three of these things involve oil pulling with coconut oil (a great anti-fungal), cold showers, and skin brushing. All of these things aid in detoxification and stimulate the lymphatic system to release and remove any stored toxins in the body.
5. Breakfast: In the past, I would always take my breakfast with me and eat it in the car. That’s a BIG no no now! The stress of trying to drive, while eating (I know, I know….that was bad) actually shunts all digestion wreaking havoc on the digestive system (gas, bloating, cramps). Now, I eat my breakfast (filled with healthy animal fats and proteins with lots of greens and cultured veggies) quietly and slowly at my table. This way I can enjoy the different tastes, smells, and textures, while keeping my digestive system relaxed, fully functioning, and happy!
6. Meditation: Before I head out on the road, I take 10 mins to sit quietly and meditate. I find that this helps to center my mind and reinforces the peaceful out look I set upon first waking up. Meditation is key for anyone who is trying to heal their bodies and begin a spiritual practice. It’s a space you can go back to when the stressors of the day begin to get overwhelming.
7. A Positive Message: Once I’m in my car, headed off to work, I put my favorite radio station on (shout out to “Elvis Duran and the Morning Show”! HELLO LADY!! – Sorry it’s a “Morning Show” thing). The show is upbeat and funny which keeps me in a good mood! I alternate between that and something with a positive message on an audio book. Right now I’m listening to “A New Earth”by Eckhart Tolle.
And that’s my new morning routine!
It may seem like a lot but, it takes no more then 1 hr to complete and it’s well worth it!
I start the morning with a clear, fresh body and mind which transfers over to the rest of my day!
Do you have a morning routine? If not, choose ONE thing you can do this week to start one!